Our council of the Knights of Columbus council was founded in 1993 and represents the parish of the Church of the Nativity in Leawood, KS. The Church of the Nativity is located at 3800 West 119th Street, Leawood, KS 66209. The Parish Office phone number is (913) 491-5017.
Our council has approximately 200 members and the current officers are displayed below. We are a very active council and can always use a few more good men to help us with the many activities we undertake throughout the year. If you would like to get involved with our council, please use the Contact page or show up to one of our scheduled events or meetings and ask a fellow Knight for details.
Fund Raising Efforts
- Pancake Breakfasts / BBQ Dinners: Several per year with proceeds benefiting our general fund.
- Roses for Life: Every January with proceeds benefiting pro-life causes.
- Lenten Fish Fry's: 6 weeks during Lent with proceeds benefiting our general fund.
- Football Raffle: 17 week profession football lottery raffle with proceeds benefiting our general fund.
- Tootsie Roll Drive: Every October with proceeds benefiting the mentally challenged.
What We Support
- Seminarians: One of the core principals of the Knights is to support the Church. Encouraging and supporting those considering the Priesthood and those attending a seminary is vital. Our council currently supports local seminarians with prayers and financial help of approximately $14,000.00 per year with direct payments of $500.00 - $1,000.00 per seminarian per year.
- Local Church: Aside from the community building activities of our fish fry's, smoked BBQ Dinners and breakfasts, we actively try to support the major events that happen at the Church of the Nativity. We regularly work with other parish organizations and the parish administration to help sponsor, coordinate or fund special events throughout the year like an ordination reception, the Fall Festival, Breakfast with Santa, alter server training, set up and maintenance of the Nativity Scene, as well as our own Free Throw Competition.
- Community: Our council's annual Tootsie Roll drive raises money for children with mental disabilities. Eighty percent of the money raised stays local, which allows us to donate to the Lake Mary Center in Paola, KS. Our council's annual Roses for Life drive raises money for pro-life causes and all the money raised goes to local pro-life organizations. We also participate in the St Mary's Food Kitchen by hosting a BBQ meal during the month of August.
Our main funding requests come from our membership or our Parish with the majority of our charitable giving being allocated with our yearly budget. If you would like to submit a funding request idea for our consideration, please use our funding request form.
Grand Knight Craig Smith 913-706-0650
DG Knight Gene Zwolinski 913-827-8014
Chancellor Bob Vedder 913-645-4215
Recorder Mark Mason 316-648-6101
Treasurer Brett Schnake 816-210-1119
Advocate David Didde 913-486-3015
Warden Ken Logsdon 913-491-5110
Inside Guard Vito Carabetta 913-558-6969
Outside Guard Larry Brockhaus 913-491-0982
Fin Sec (A) Tim Kane 913-544-8385
Lecturer (A) Jerry Malone 913-488-5122
1 Yr Trustee Joe Falco 913-530-0010
2 Yr Trustee Mike Gorman 816-896-2283
3 Yr Trustee Tom Fowler 913-231-0688
Chaplin (A) Fr Francis Hund 913-491-5017
(A) = Appointed
2018-2019 Service/Program Personnel
Membership Dir Gene Zwolinski 913-827-8014
Recruitment Bob Vedder 913-645-4215
Recruitment Jerry Raggett 913-638-8910
Recruitment Al Samuelson 816-728-2636
Recruitment Toby Boschert 816-591-2917
Retention Mark Mason 316-648-6101
Program Dir David Didde 913-486-3015
Faith Dir Jerry Malone 913-488-5122
Family Dir John Sesti 913-653-3664
Community Dir Tom Whitehead 913-208-3750
Life Dir Mike Barkoski 913-909-4519
Public Rel Tim Plank 816-590-6437
John Lawrence email@example.com
How do I join?
If you would like to join the Church of the Nativity council of the Knights of Columbus, the initial process can be done online at knights.net and clicking JOIN to fill out the registration and pay the $30 eMember dues. Please include our local council #11067 (see image below) when registering to ensure we get notified and can schedule a first degree ceremony to get you fully registered with our council. The first degree ceremonies are normally scheduled during our regular monthly council meetings. Our local membership contact is Gene Zwolinski and his phone number is 913-827-8014.